Monday, November 26, 2012

Low Carb BBQ Sauce

The Thanksgiving holiday is over and Christmas is just around the corner. This time of year it can be really hard to eat healthy. Between family gatherings, holiday parties and yummy snacks, temptation is all around us. For Thanksgiving, I decided to eat what I wanted at our family dinner. After that, it was back to low carb food for me. This meant no leftovers on Black Friday or sweet treats during the football games. I stuck to it, and managed to LOSE half a pound this week! Who does that?!?

I ordered a smoked turkey and Boston butt roast from a friend's fundraiser and decided to cook the roast last night. I needed a good BBQ sauce to go with it. I've tried a few store bought low carb options and have not been pleased. I decided to make my own. I found this recipe http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/smoky_bbq_sauce2.html and decided to give it a try. I was missing a few of the ingredients she calls for, but it turned out great! Even my toddler was eating it up. Here's my version:

Low Carb BBQ Sauce

6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup granular Splenda 
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Mix all of the ingredients and let it simmer for an hour or so stirring occasionally. This made 2 cups of yummy BBQ sauce. When I make it again, I think I'll try for a little spicier.


No comments:

Post a Comment